Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Cask Of Amontillado


If you are a fan of Edgar Allan Poe, the above picture is a very refreshing take on the classic, The Cask of Amontillado.

As a kid, I read this story and was morbidly fascinated by the idea of being walled up alive. Truth to tell, I was rather fascinated with various forms of death that were long and drawn out. The macabreness of one's realisation of the impending end yet impotency to do anything about it, sends a chill of horror and titillation down my spine. Much as we homo sapiens behave like we control the world around us, the fact is we control very little indeed. If indeed I could choose which forms of death I would not want to experience, it'd be;

1) Being buried alived.

2) Being walled up alive.

3) Drowning.

4) Suffocation.

I used to list falling from a great height amongst those but I read somewhere your neck snaps mid fall and you're most likely dead before you ever hit the ground so that eliminates its eligibility from "Long drawn out deaths I wouldn't wanna gro through" for me.

Happy Hallow's Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment