Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Living In A Cloud



Without my knowing it, I have totally shifted my computing habits to one that's very much tethered to the cloud computing system.

it started with mobileme a while back. The ease of having my browser bookmarks, emails and contacts synced seamlessly and more importantly, invisibly across 3 platforms was heavensent. And without realising it, I kinda took it for granted until one day I was rushing out of the office and wanted to read more on a link I had bookmarked, during the commute to a meeting only to realise that I hadn't allowed enough time for the "sync" to go through. Boy was I peeved. And then I began to laugh at how much I had taken it for granted.

I also began using Dropbox to sync work and reference files between my work laptop and home desktop. Thumb-drive to transport files? That's so archaic! And then yesterday my brother let me know that there was the iPhone version. OMG how could I not know this?!

These days with mobile devices stepping up and performing more functions beyond the intended "making phone calls", cloud computing has really come into its own. It's really easy to get into and the convenience it supplies to a busy individual's life is unrivalled. Thing is, how much of a crutch would this slowly become without us becoming aware of it? And what's worse, what would happen when one day something goes wrong and things fail as it inevitably would and should? Can you imagine the collective global scream of horror??



Anyway, here's an awesome website, the Expedition Titanic. What's it about? Well it's a pretty well publicized attempt (yet another) to raise and/or salvage the wreck of the RMS Titanic. Yes, THAT Titanic we all know and love (or hate depending on what kind of cold-hearted creep you are).

I'm mentioning this not because I'm a Titanic fanboy (though the nature of a world-famouse shipwreck DOES have its intrigue) but because of... the website itself!

It's an awesome concept, leveraging on the nature of a dive to have a website just scroll on downwards like seemingly forever. And done rather seamlessly too. But I have to say, using it is a tad of a chore on my Magic Mouse.

3 comments:

  1. Yes Dropbox, synced to GoodReader on iphone are godsent, since (with an iphone 4), you can project, not just itune videos, but also, PDF files and other stuff from GoodReader!

    I finally managed to sync my icals across my two MBPros and iphone. But I used Google Cals (free) instead.

    Latest Geek conquest? I synced up Stickies on both my Macs :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah stickies, although they're that oldest-long-forgotten-and-never-upgraded app of Apple's, is actually quite good for me to quickly jot down things-to-do.

    well, now it syncs up too. heh.

    ReplyDelete