Thursday, August 26, 2010

When A Family Has To Plead For A Loved One's Life

Yong Vui Kong's Family Plead for his Life from Lianain Films on Vimeo.



This is a damn heart-breaking video, all the more so because it's shorn of any special editing or effects. It's raw, it's real and it's happening whether we are aware or not.

To be honest, I was one of those who were initially cynical and dismissive over this anti-death penalty campaign. Or any of its predecessors for that matter. "Just another drug trafficker sentenced to die, so?" was my general attitude and one that sums up alot of Singaporeans I believe.

I was idly following the coverage that The Online Citizen provides regarding this affair when a sentence from a speech struck me.

"This is about mercy."

And yes, that's when I realised how far removed I was becoming from my own humanity. To be so innured to the thought of another fellow human being that it doesn't cause more than a moment's consideration or worse, a sneer. Is that the kind of person I have become?

To those who say that he was caught and found guilty of a crime, well let those who knows no sin cast the first stone then. If not, STFU seriously.

So yeah, if you aren't aware of this issue, do find out more and sign the petition if you can.

End rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment