Friday, September 24, 2010

Encounter Of The Rude Kind

So my colleagues and I decided to take the train one afternoon, to a different location for lunch. We were heartily sick of the food around our area and for the heck of it, wanted to try something new.

The train at approximately 1.30pm was PACKED. Fortunately it was only 1 stop, so we just shrugged and boarded the train. There was space barely enough to accommodate the 4 of us. Conversation was mundane, with us just discussing work and what not.

The train had barely pulled out of the station when I noticed that a family consisting of a mother, her 4-5year old kid and grandmother had gotten / stood up from the seats next to the door. My colleagues were pretty absorbed in discussing work and over the clamour of the train, didn't notice the mother's rather abrupt and rude "ExCUSE me!" as she tried to angle for the door with her kid in tow.

However I did and quickly taking stock of the situation, realised that was absolutely no way for us to maneuver anyway. Anyone who takes the MRT would have at one point in time or another understand what I am talking about. You are pressed like a sardine against the door to the point when your hands are almost pinned to the side and any movement on your part had best be executed with ginger care.

I caught the mother's glaring eye over my colleague's shoulder and gave an apologetic smile and said "It's alright, we are getting off the next station." Again, perhaps due to the clamour of the train, she didn't hear me (or want to) and brayed again in an increasingly annoying nasal tone "ExCUSE me!" By now my colleagues had caught on to what was going on. The train however at this point was only at its midpoint in between stations. Given the cramped space we were in, honestly I wonder at what was going through the mind of the annoying mother!

I rolled my eyes at my colleague who was looking at me with a quizzical expression. Now amongst us 4, this colleague of mine H is not local. He's a pretty mild mannered guy from KL with a penchant for polo tees and thick black rimmed glasses. I opened my mouth to tell him, well I dunno what because at this point the annoying mother kinda lunged and tried to shove him aside in a bid to make a break for the door. All she accomplished however was that my colleague was off his balance and pushed into the surprised faces of my other 2 colleagues and instead of facing the door, she was facing all 1.79metres and 80 kilograms of a very cheesed off me (fine I need to lose weight ggrrr). Which to hear it from my colleague was a rather comical sight considering the mother was probably only 1.6m at best.

Ok so I admit it, at this point my patience which was already wearing thin thanks to the hot weather. I bent down or rather, loomed over her a little and snapped at her, "Look woman, what's your problem? We are getting off at the next stop too and the train hasn't bloody stopped! Can't you wait??"

She blinked a couple of times and trained (haha pun!) her sullen glare at me for a couple of moments before retorting "You all are standing there like statues!" to which I arched an eyebrow in a most condescending manner and replied "Well your sour face is enough to turn people into stone too!" I was surprised and mildly gratified at the titters and giggles that ensued around us.

Okok so it wasn't my proudest moment but seriously, I have had it with the increasingly packed shoving masses one finds everywhere in Singapore these days. It's a well known fact that Singaporeans by and large are not known for their social graces and coupled with a rapidly increasing population straining at the seams, you can bet that whatever little civic graces the past few courtesy campaigns have managed to inculcate are vaporizing faster than the flood waters around Bukit Timah after a storm.

So the government wants to further compound the problem by importing another 80,000 foreigners "only" from their initial target of 100,000. The cynical side of me goes "Oh yeah and how many more they gonna bring in AFTER they win the elections to make up for this necessary public relations move?"

No comments:

Post a Comment